New England Chapter
Lantheus Medical Imaging: Senior Health Physicist and Radiation Safety Officer(posted 2019-05-10)
Job Family: Environment, Health, and Safety
Job Subfamily: Radiological Safety
*Reports to: Senior Director EHS RPO
The purpose of this position is to manage the routine and non-routine day to day activities of the Lantheus Medical Imaging (LMI) Radiation Protection Program (RP Program) and RP Program staff members by providing technical expertise, experience, and regulatory knowledge in support of radiological operations throughout the LMI business, in compliance with radioactive materials regulations, license conditions, and LMI policy requirements. Perform managerial duties and prepare, forecast, and monitor RP Program budget and operational expenses. Develop and sustain existing radiation safety programs for ionizing radiation sources with efforts toward continuous improvement. This position serves as the subject matter expert for the RP Program and has the authority to enforce radiological policies and procedures regarding radiation safety and regulatory compliance in the use and handling of radioactive materials. The position objective is to ensure the radiological safety of employees, contractors, and members of the public, through the safe manufacturing, testing and distribution of radioactive product in compliance with federal, state and local radiation safety regulations.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions
• Sets team objectives, manages direct report performance, and conducts direct report performance evaluations.
• Oversees the short and long term objectives of the RP Program and RP Program staff, to ensure that regulatory requirements and business expectations are fulfilled.
• Perform complex dosimetry evaluations for internal exposure, external exposure and skin contamination events and ensure proper documentation of evaluations and dose assignments.
• Evaluate/recommend radiation safety controls for proposed new operations and facilities, or upgrades for existing operations, in accordance with ALARA principles, using experience, technical knowledge and software applications.
• Develop and present radiation safety training programs to individuals and groups, including introductory radiation safety training, advanced training, RP Program staff training, and special topic/audience training as needed.
• Review all RP Program survey and compliance records to assure they are complete, legible and timely, to maintain awareness of radiological conditions, and to detect non-routine trends or conditions that may warrant further investigation.
• Represent the RP Program in radiological incident investigations and project committees to ensure radiation safety concerns are addressed in a timely manner.
• Attends, prepares and documents Radiation Safety Committee Meetings
• Facilitates the annual audit of the radiation protection program review.
• Review draft radiological investigation reports for thoroughness of investigation, clarity, determination of root causes and appropriate corrective actions.
• Participate in regulatory inspections of licensed operations and communicate with state and federal regulatory agencies as needed. Maintain currency with existing and proposed radiation safety regulations and standards that may affect our operations. Advise management as needed.
• Maintain awareness of evolving technologies in radiation detection, dosimetry, and HP computer software applications.
• Provide technical Health Physics support to radioactive operations as needed.
• Provide technical and compliance guidance to Lantheus Medical Imaging Puerto Rico Radiopharmacy
• Participate in the site emergency response team by leading emergency response team members, coordinating and/or providing technical information and guidance to the Incident Commander/Emergency Response coordinator during radiological emergencies.
• Manage on-call response schedule for RP staff, periodically rotating through off-hour response, as needed.
• Actively promotes safety rules and awareness. Demonstrates good safety practices at all times including the appropriate use of protective equipment. Reports and takes initiative to correct safety & environmental hazards.
• Actively demonstrates the Lantheus values of accountability, quality, customer service, efficiency, collaboration and safety.
• *In the case of absence, the reports to Manager above or a peer incumbent will function as a backup for this position.
• Master’s Degree in Health Physics/Radiological Sciences from accredited college and certification by the American Board of Health Physics.
• Seven to Ten years of direct health physics experience, preferably within a complex manufacturing or research environment.
• Comprehensive knowledge of health physics and radiation protection theory and practice for the use of radioactive material.
• Strong communication skills to effectively communicate problems and solutions to workers and management, both orally and in writing: and maintain positive and effective interpersonal relations. Experience in delivering focused customer service to all levels within the business environment.
• Effectively integrate activities across multiple areas by generating consensus-based decisions and using influence with multiple high level managers within various organizations. Effective utilization of stakeholder engagement at the worker level, up to and including Vice President and President/CEO level.
• Considerable ability to work on issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth knowledge of business trends and organizational objectives.
• Demonstrated strong supervisory skills through direct personal experience.
For information or questions about NECHPS or this website, contact our webmaster.
© Copyright 1998-2011 New England Chapter Health Physics Society.